Peer recognition scheme (aka the taco scheme).
As a company that believes in self-organisation and empowering every team member, we've thought in depth about the best way to recognise great work and the positive things people do.
We have a weekly peer-led recognition scheme called the taco scheme. It's called the taco scheme because team members give each other recognition on Slack by using the taco emoji!
Each week, the five people who have received the most tacos are in with a chance of winning Amazon vouchers, or cash for themselves or their chosen charity.
The company puts £100 per week into the prize pot and the prize is paid out based on a dice roll each week. A score of one or six means the pot pays out, otherwise the prize fund rolls over to the next week and grows.
How it works.
- Every day you can give away up to five tacos to other team members to recognise them for doing something great.
- You can give someone a taco by using the :taco: emoji on Slack – for example, '@joebloggs great work today on bug fixing :taco:'.
- More info on how to give tacos and other functionality: https://www.heytaco.chat/about.
- At the end of each week, we share the leaderboard of who’s been awarded the most tacos by their colleagues. End of the week
- During the week anyone can check the leaderboard by asking '@heytaco leaderboard'.
- The company will put £100 into the taco pot each week.
- At the end of each week Katy rolls a dice.
- If a one or a six is rolled, the top five people will get an equal share of the taco pot to say thanks for their great work.
- In the event of a tie, we’ll include everyone who has tied for fifth place, so there may be more than five people sharing.
- If any number other than a one or six is rolled, the pot rolls over to the next week and will be bigger, up to a maximum of £500.
- If an individual team member’s share of the pot when it pays out is £50 or less, we’ll give out Amazon vouchers (no tax implications).
- If an individual team member’s share of the pot is more than £50, they have a choice:
- The whole of their share as a cash bonus paid via the next payroll (this is subject to tax/NI).
- A £50 Amazon voucher (no tax implication) with the rest of their share given to a charity of their choice.
To use the taco scheme, you need to have the Hey Taco bot in the channel you're giving the tacos in. It's in most channels already but to add Hey Taco to a Slack channel use the '/invite @heytaco' in that channel.