Holidays, sick leave and compassionate leave
There are 24 days paid leave per calendar year, plus UK bank holidays.
For team members based outside the UK there may be individual variations to this based on local public holidays.
You have to take the time for our Christmas to New Year company wide close down period from your allowance each year - this is usually three or four days of leave and will be automatically booked for you at the start of each calendar year.
How to book time off
It’s each team member’s responsibility to plan their own holiday to fit with their project commitments (as shown in Forecast). Given we plan our projects some months in advance usually, this will mean thinking ahead.
Here are the steps you need to take to book holiday:
- Review your own project commitments in Forecast and understand how you’ll fulfil any booked project commitments alongside the holiday you want to take.
- Add the holiday to Forecast so it’s clear to everyone else that time is potentially going to be taken as holiday.
- Talk this through with the project lead/s, as well as team members as necessary for any projects that you’re working on at the time you want to take off
- Submit your request and add any notes about projects affected/what you’ve agreed with the project leads via Bamboo
- Your line manager will review and then approve/decline the request. If it isn’t approved you then need to remove the holiday from Forecast.
Remember all leave needs to be taken by the end of the calendar year. Leave can only be rolled over in exceptional circumstances with MD approval in advance.
You can check your balance using Bamboo. Remember to use the date calculator and set the date to 31st December to view your balance for the whole year, including days booked but not yet taken.
You can book time off in half days or whole days. On a half day you either start or finish at 12.30pm.
Sickness and medical appointments
These should be incorporated into your flexible time wherever possible, otherwise requested via Bamboo.
If you're sick the company provides ten paid sick days per calendar year. You should speak to your chapter lead as soon possible each day to let them know you are unwell and to handover any work that needs dealing with that day.
In some situations compassionate leave may be granted at the discretion of a Director - for example in the event of the death of an immediate family member or grandparent.